The ACUI Collegiate Clay Targets Program and the Scholastic Clay Target Program celebrated a successful inaugural season after concluding the 2023 Collegiate Clay Target Championships in March. Along with the national championship, 2022–23 programming consisted of Bowl Series events from October to March.
When the season began in October 2022 in Marengo, Ohio, for the International National Championships and the Upper Midwest Conference Championships, many teams looked forward to the competitions ahead. Both returning and new teams alike had positive outlooks on what the partnership could do for their students.
Terry Carr, Lake Superior State University’s Shooting Sports coach, said, “This season I’m looking forward to introducing LSSU’s team at the national level. I hope that this program teaches my student respect and discipline when it comes to all things in life.”
Teams from across the United States had the opportunity to highlight their talents throughout the season, and student athletes were able to take home awards and scholarships to their institutions. More than $40,000 in scholarships were given away to participants this past season, and industry support of the program was consistent though collegiate shooting sports programs saw much change and transition.
During the 2022–23 season, ACUI and SCTP hosted eight Bowl Series events, as well as a National Championship program in both International Disciplines (October 2022, Marengo, Ohio) and American Disciplines (March 2023, San Antonio). In total, 97 teams and 1,063 athletes participated, with 8,384 event registrations.
With a focus on the continued growth of the collegiate shooting sports community, both organizations are working together to bolster industry support, athlete recognition, and scholarship funds available to student athletes.
- International National Championships | October 4–5, 2023 | Marengo, Ohio
- Upper Midwest Conference Championships | October 6–8, 2023 | Marengo, Ohio
- Fall Central Midwest Conference Championships | October 13–15, 2023 | Sparta, Illinois
- Greater Midwest Super Shoot | October 26–29, 2023 | Grand Island, Nebraska
- Upper East Coast Conference Championships | November 3–5, 2023 | Glenn Dale, Maryland
- Fall West Coast Conference Championships | November 10–12, 2023 | Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Spring West Coast Conference Championships | January 19–21, 2024 | Las Vegas
- Lower Midwest Super Shoot | February 1–4, 2024 | San Antonio
- Lower East Coast Conference Championships | February 9–11, 2024 | Savannah, Georgia
- Spring Central Midwest Conference Championships | March 1–3, 2024 | Columbia, Missouri
The ACUI Clay Targets program was established in 1968 and is the oldest collegiate shotgun sports program. Over the last 50 years, the program has evolved from a national championship event to a robust program, offering regional events from October through March each year in addition to the ACUI Collegiate Clay Targets Championships. ACUI is the professional home to thousands of campus community builders around the world.
SCTP provides kids from elementary through high school and college with the opportunity to participate in the fun and challenging sports of Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays, as well as the Olympic disciplines of Bunker Trap, Trap Doubles and International Skeet. SCTP is the official feeder program to USA Shooting and a path to the U.S. Olympic Shooting Team.